Visiting Scholar Program
with possible extension, 2020-2021
L.M. Montgomery Institute
University of Prince Edward Island
The L.M. Montgomery Institute (LMMI), University of Prince Edward Island, invites scholars active in research related to the work and life of L.M. Montgomery to submit an application for the L.M. Montgomery Visiting Scholar-Program (1 July, 2019–30 June, 2020). An extension of the appointment for one additional year is possible upon mutual agreement.
The Visiting Scholar:
- becomes a member of the LMMI Committee, participating in monthly meetings (by teleconference if necessary), providing feedback on LMMI initiatives, and participating in other LMMI-related projects.
- presents a paper at the LMMI biennial conference in 2020.
- serves as Conference Co-Chair for the 2020 conference. The Co-Chair develops the conference theme and Call For Papers and works with the UPEI Chair of L.M Montgomery Studies and Applied Communication, Leadership and Culture along with other members of the LMMI Conference committee, throughout the conference planning process. The Co-Chairs vet paper proposals, create the programme, and communicate with conference presenters, as well as help organize the conference.
- contributes to the development of a SSHRC funding proposal in support of the conference.
- serves as co-editor for a special issue of the Journal of L.M. Montgomery Studies with works emanating from the conference.
- may represent the LMMI at selected events if/as needed.
While the scholar will visit the LMMI, it is recognized that much of her or his work as scholar can take place outside of Prince Edward Island. This position may be held in conjunction with other positions in other provinces or countries. The position offers: a stipend of $5,500.00 per year, a travel and accommodations budget of $2,000.00 per year, and the use of the LMMI office and research room as available.
The competition is open to university-affiliated and independent scholars, in any discipline.
In a one-two page letter of application please 1) explain why you are interested in this position, 2) identify your past and proposed work with Montgomery, 3) describe your relevant experience, including organizational experience, and 4) propose a theme for the 2020 conference, including your rationale for the proposed theme. Two names of referees (with their contact information) and a CV should also be submitted.
We hope to announce the successful applicant, and the theme of the 2020 conference, at the 2018 conference in June. Please note that the conference theme initially proposed by the successful applicant is not necessarily the theme that will be selected by the LMMI.
The LMMI reserves the right to seek additional applications if an appropriate match is not found as a result of this call.
To request further information or to send your application contact: Dr. Philip Smith, LMMI Administration Committee Chair, email: LMMI@upei.ca, telephone: 902- 566-0549
Deadline for submission: 15 April, 2018
Past LMMI Visiting Scholars
M. Jean Mitchell